Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 17:03:40 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com, jc@irbs.com
Subject:   Re: Slice errors

>Yes there was a way to delete partitions using fdisk, I've been using
>it to do that for a very long time.  You had to say ``y'' to the
>specify beg/end C/H/S and manual set them all to zero.  Your changes
>serously broke the usability of fdisk in that it now always writes
>a very invalid partition if the user lets fdisk pick the beg/end
>values :-(.

It's not clear that valid partitions can start at 0.  You can still
create such partitions by saying ``y'' to the question and correcting
the S value.

>You want to fix it or should I?

You fix it.

>> >I am using that advice here on all my machines and it is much happier
>> >about this than allowing the bogus 500000 block boot stuff live!!!
>>
>> I want the invalid table to just work.  I tested it, but only on a
>> floppy, so I want to see more bug reports about it if there are any
>> bugs.

>You won't see any from me on it, I always run with a valid partition
>table.

I've always had a minimal valid partition table of size 17 (C=1, H=1,
S=17) in my biosboot/start.S, but I don't have any partitions that
start at 0 here, and someone named rgrimes ;-) said that it didn't
work in general, so I didn't commit the change.

Bruce