Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:09:10 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   tftpd: avoid logging error for pxeboot option negotiation?

After upgrading a diskless boot server from FreeBSD 6 to 8 I see an error
message logged each time a diskless client boots:

Feb 20 00:56:38 TPC-D4-35 tftpd[55229]: Got ERROR packet: TFTP Aborted

It turns out that the pxeboot client (from Intel) first performs a TFTP
read request with the tsize option to which it receives an acknowledgement
containing the size of the file to be transferred.  Then it sends back
an error response to abort the transfer, and sends the read request again
(without the tsize option).

The sequence of packets is:

1. C->S TFTP Read Request, File: pxeboot, Transfer type: octet, tsize=0
2. S->C TFTP Option Acknowledgement, tsize=239616
3. C->S TFTP Error Code, Code: Not defined, Message: TFTP Aborted
4. C->S TFTP Read Request, File: pxeboot, Transfer type: octet, blksize=1456
5. S->C TFTP Option Acknowledgement, blksize=1456
6. C->S TFTP Acknowledgement, Block: 0
7. S->C TFTP Data Packet, Block: 1

I'd like to avoid logging the error here, for the sake of this pxeboot
client and any other tftp clients that might check options without actually
starting a transfer.  Anyone opposed to removing it?  (A proposed patch is
at http://people.freebsd.org/~emaste/tftpd.diff).

-Ed