Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 1997 17:00:36 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Subject:   Re: My first SMP kernel...

Hi,

> My testboard is an older ASUS PCI/EISA dual-CPU board with a Neptune
> chipset, running at 90 MHz still.  (The second CPU was actually a 133
> MHz one, but that shouldn't matter.)

sounds a little shaky, any idea what the stepping of the original CPU is?
some of the earlier P5/90s didn't do SMP very well... checkout:

http://sysdoc.pair.com/pentium.html

to see if this chip supports SMP

---
> I've grabbed all the CTM deltas from freefall's ftp area, and checked
> out the most recent kernel source.  Well, i didn't get this kernel to
> work stable, it crashed all over the place. :-(  At best, it could
> get away to run something like `make obj', at worst, i couldn't even
> log in since the shell crashed immediately (sig 4, sig 11 etc.).  Note
> that this even happened when running this kernel uni-processor, while
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
by this you mean before doing "sysctl -w kern.smp_active=2"?

---
> the old (3.0-current) kernel.GENERIC ran fine on identical hardware.

I think Chuck Robey  <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu> would be the one to ask as to
determining whether those CTM deltas are current, I wouldn't have a clue...

---
> The SCSI controller is an AHA2742, but i didn't see SCSI errors, so it
> must be more a VM thingie.

Peter Wemm has this controller (and I think MB) so he might have insight.

---
>  I tried to make the SMP options in the
> config file as benign as possible (just only SMP, NCPU, NBUS, and the
> APIC stuff, no whistles and bells), but still no go.

did you also use options SMP_INVLTLB?  this is necessary.

---

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD