Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 01:50:29 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <tom@peeper.my.domain>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE ---> SCSI

On Thu, Apr 10, 1997 at 01:51:33AM -0400, webmaster wrote:
>   I have 2 hard drives in a P133 with 96mb of RAM.
>
> 	HD1 is a 2+ gig IDE set as my primary boot drive.
>             This drive includes DOS, WIN95 and NT4.0
>
> 	HD2 is a 1+ gig SCSI drive using an ADAPTEC 15X controller.
>
>   I would like to use the entire SCSI drive for FreeBSD.
>
> 1) Created a bootable floppy [/tools/fdimage /floppies/boot.flp A:]
> 2) Booted off this floppy & allowed auto-load of Kernel
> 3) Kernal Config [commented out un-usable]
> 4) Watched it test all devices...
> 	[did'nt seem to find my sd0 (SCSI) hard drive]
> 5) Proceeded to the FreeBSD partition creation area.
>
>  The problem is most likely clear; My SCSI drive sd0 or what have you does
> not show up.  Only my primary IDE drive. Is there something I missed?
>
> Thanks for the help before hand!
>
> please reply to:  webmaster@global-impact.com

I've got a 1520 on the shelf, backup for my 2940 :). As I remember, even if
the bios on the card is disabled, when you boot-up, you see a Adaptec msg,
maybe not, not sure. Anyway, I would get the card/disc working in plain old
dos first. Its more forgiving of screw ups, then go on to fbsd. This advice
is worth what it cost you ;).

btw, consider putting your root directory on your ide drive.

good luck

--
Tom Jackson                                           I'm ProChoice->FreeBSD
toj@gorilla.net                                      http://www.freebsd.org