Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 14:46:45 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Brian J. Cipresse" <cipresse@best.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can Free BSD Coexist with a Windows NT full NTFS System?

On Thu, Oct 09, 1997 at 09:58:54PM -0700, Brian J. Cipresse wrote:
> I don't have any DOS partions left on my hard drives since I have converted
> them to NTFS.  Since one of the requirements appears to be installing from
> a MS-DOS partioned floppy,

Installing from an MS-DOS partitioned floppy is most definitely *not*
a requirement for installing FreeBSD.  The boot floppy has its own
format, and it is not intelligible to MS-DOS.

> I don't see how the install program will be able to recognize the
> NTFS partition.

It won't.  Sorry, you can't do this.

> Any ideas?  I searched the FAQs and the web but nothings seems to explicity
> address this issue.

The easiest way to install FreeBSD is from CD-ROM.  You *must* have a
spare disk partition to install FreeBSD on.  FreeBSD can understand
Microsoft file system formats up to a point, but it needs a UFS (UNIX
File System) partition to run.  It would be impractical to install
FreeBSD with less than about 150 MB of dedicated disk space.

Greg