Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2012 09:21:08 +0200
From:      Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff@web.de>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

Am Freitag, den 01.06.2012, 13:56 -0400 schrieb Michael R. Wayne:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 05:03:26AM -0700, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> >
> > If you are NOT using FreeBSD for any area or some areas , would you please
> > list those areas with most important first to least important last ?
>
> As mentioned by several others, once you have a single applicaiton
> that demands Windows, you are mostly stuck running windows.

I was used to thinking the same way, but today there is VirtualBox and
it does very well. More simple applications work fine using wine, that
keeps you from having to install a complete Windows-OS.

I do not use FreeBSD when it comes to running hardware dependent WIndows
programs in a virtual box. But to be fair I have to mention that things
are getting better, the most gadgets do work even without windows - like
DMMs (digital multimeters), suport for video and tv hardware has gotten
much better.

Where I have to leave FreeBSD it's mostly because of fast USB2 tranfers,
a DSO (digital storage oscilloscope) is one of those cases that refuse
to work inside a vbox, although the device itself is found and attached.

Those are the last few issues stopping me from deleting the Windows
partition^wslice on my desktop machine.

Well done!

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff@web.de>