Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 15:30:46 +0800
From:      Foxfair Hu <foxfair@drago.fomokka.net>
To:        keith@freebsd.sinica.edu.tw
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
Subject:   Re: Something about ports/chinese

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:46:36 +0800
Jing-Tang Keith Jang <keith@bsdvm.jtjang.idv.tw> wrote:

> While I appreciate foxfair for sending in those new ports under
> ports/chinese before 4.2-RELEASE, there are some issues/suggestions
> I'd like to make:
>
> 1. For chinese/netscape47-{communicator,navigator}, they need
>    chinese/XFree86-aoutlibs as well.  It's already send-pr'd
>    as ports/22479.  Please commit it also.

  It's scheduled at my afternoon TODO list, and you all(keith and kevlo,
keichii -- why so many Ks? :P) make it faster, thanks!

> 2. Please don't copy outta-port/* directly to ports/chinese.
>    For those who are interested, outta-port is a port-extended
>    respository for Taiwan users.  It consisted of many temporary
>    fixes and ugly hacks for Big5 users.  Many people tried very hard
>    to make them clean enough to get in ports/chinese.  It seems
>    that chinese/netscape47-* and chinese/cle_base are directly
>    copied from outta-port.  Please at least ask the maintainers
>    if you want to do that, especially when you ignored those which
>    are already send-pr'd(ports/21691, ports/22341-22342, ports/22479-22481)

  Hmm... if outta-port is out of sync with your PR, or anyone's hot
codes at his own computer.  I'll suggest that : We shouldn't maintain
two different ports tree(ports/chinese && outta-port in sinica) at the
same time.
Especially when someone wanna commit something, but he doesn't use the
source file from the PR's originator.

Actually I don't do "blink" commit at the normal time, but for some
reason I don't wanna test these ports(cle_base & netscape-*) in my
-current box. So I ask keichii to help me few hourse ago, to make sure
these ports are fine in installation procedure.

And no, I didn't "ignore" these PRs keith sent, it is unfair when you
said it.

> 3. For chinese/cle_base, it should be renamed to chinese/linux_base,
>    like emulators/linux_base(not emultors/rh_base).  Please see ports/21691.
>    It may be reasonable to repo-copy emulators/linux_base, since they
>    only differ in localedata*.rpm and XFree*.rpm for Big5 support.
>    But I'm not sure about this.

  That's why I called it "cle_base" rather then "linux_base", for the
later case : You should make a slave port or ask repo-copy first, and
send out your patch focus on Chinese. NOT make a new port everytime.
I mark the name different to do so, now, can you understand what I want
to do? :)

> --
> Keep it simple and stupid.

Cheers,