Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 06:47:37 +1000
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook installation chapter for Alpha architecture

At 06:42 13/09/2001, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>On 2001-Sep-12 10:02:32 -0700, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> >
> >On 11-Sep-01 Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >> One comment:
> >> Unlike the i386, Alpha boot flags must be specified via the SRM - eg it
> >> isn't possible[1] to boot single user by issuing 'boot -s' to the
> >> FreeBSD boot-loader, you have to use 'boot -fl s' at the SRM.
> >>
> >> [1] At least it wasn't a couple of months ago when I last updated my
> >>     system.
> >
> >Erm, I've used 'boot -s' from the loader many, many, many times on my
> >alpha test systems.
>
>Interesting, I've never had it work on my Multia.  It hasn't annoyed
>me enough (and is useful on occasion) to chase it up.  I guess I'll
>have to dig into the Alpha boot process a bit deeper and find out why
>it doesn't work for me.

You'll probably find it's a "feature" of SRM.  The Multia SRM is really
really old, and doesn't do a lot of the things the newer SRM version can do.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it
binds the universe together.

This is random quote 354 of a collection of 1160