Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 20:29:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      media@mail1.nai.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, charon@freethought.org
Subject:   Looking for 3.1 STABLE (was: Newbie Questions)

At 11:11 PM -0700 4/29/99, charon@freethought.org wrote:

>At 01:42 AM 4/30/99 -0400, media@mail1.nai.net wrote:
>
>>1. I wish to install 3.1 STABLE, yet the only 3.1 I could find at
>>ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD was in releases/i386/.  Is that the right one??
>>When I go to FreeBSD-stable/  I see packaging, ports, src, sup and
>>supfile.cvsvp, but nothing such as bin, which would be necessary.
>
>You can install 3.1-RELEASE and upgrade by source later (via ctm or cvsup),
>or you could install a snapshot (basically a binary release of -STABLE at
>that point - see ftp://releng3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/).

First and foremost, thank you for your help!

I don't know what ctm or cvsup are, or how to upgrade by source later.  I
tried to get to usr/share/doc/handbook and usr/share/doc/FAQ to learn more,
but it said "Permission Denied."   Is the "source" I would use be the
contents of FreeBSD-stable/src??

I originally set out to get 3.1-STABLE, but I couldn't find it in the
folder labeled "STABLE" (see above), so I was lead to believe that
3.1-RELEASE was stable.  Does that make sense??

I went to ftp://releng3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/ and I found
a list of subdirectories with names beginning with either 3.1 or 4.0
followed by a date.  Which one is 3.1-STABLE??  Or are none of them
3.1-STABLE??  Are all of them?!?! I was under the impression that there was
only one 3.1-STABLE and that "snapshots" were periodically archived
accumulations of the development and further revision of that branch.  I
read the FAQ, but I still think I'm confused.

I received an email today saying, "The FreeBSD toolkit contains the latest
binary "snapshot" releases of 2.2-stable, 3.1-stable and 4.0-current as of
March 27th, 1999."  So I'm thinking this means 3.1-STABLE exists.

Where can I get 3.1-STABLE??

Do I have to download everything all over again, or are some of the files
(perhaps man or dict) the same for both 3.1-RELEASE and 3.1-STABLE??  I'm
thinking I need to make new floppies as well (see below).

Also, if there already is a 3.1-STABLE, why would someone want a possibly
buggy 3.1-RELEASE??  Despite what I can't find at ftp.FreeBSD.ORG, I would
think that the tested and announced stable version would be more popular.
So, I still think I'm confused.  I just want the most reliable OS.

>>I booted up using kern.flp and mfsboot.flp from floppies, but when I choose
>>to load the rest from a DOS partition the installer tells me it can't find
>>any of them.  There doesn't seem to be a prompt for a file path.  What am I
>>doing wrong??
>
>Look at ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/3.1-RELEASE/ERRATA.TXT.
>Basically, there's a bug in 3.1, so just put everything in C:\bin\*,
>C:\src\*, etc., and don't use the \FREEBSD directory.

Thank you :)  It says, "The instructions are correct but the code was wrong
in 3.1-RELEASE, sysinstall looking directly under C:\ (e.g. C:\BIN\ . . .)
or under C:\RELEASES\ (C:\RELEASES\BIN) and so on.  Fixed in 3.1-STABLE."
When I first read that I didn't remember it because I thought I _was_
installing 3.1-STABLE.

So, I put all of the files I downloaded into C:\ and the install worked.
The boot manager works, and when I choose FreeBSD it looks like UNIX, but I
think I have the wrong version.

THANX!!

PEACE OUT :)
MARK

P.S.  This is for a Compaq Pentium 133 w/64M RAM.