Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 23:05:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      flag <flag@libero.it>
To:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
Cc:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Malloc type lacks magic" show-stopper solved

On 2 Nov 2000, Randell Jesup wrote:

>         -O2 should work.  I've never seen a bug with -O2 code generation
> from GCC (not that they can't happen, of course).  Most bugs I've seen in
> my career with optimization levels were actually timing holes in the
> source code, where someone was accessing a shared resource and counting
> on ordering/etc, or bugs with accessing hardware registers where structures
> weren't properly marked volatile.
>
>         If there's a problem, find it and report it.  IMHO.

Here I am.

[flag@NewLuxor flag]$uname -a
FreeBSD NewLuxor.localdomain 4.2-BETA FreeBSD 4.2-BETA #0: Tue Oct 31
17:43:34 CET 2000
flag@NewLuxor.localdomain:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NEWLUXOR  i386
[flag@NewLuxor flag]$

I posted some times ago a message about my ppp problem with my dial-up
connection (the msg was "Random net errors" or something similar but, for
better result, you can try searching for msg coming from me).

These problem appeared after a make world (CFLAGS=COPTFLAGS=-O2 -march=k6
-mcpu=k6 -pipe).

I saw oddity with my dial-up connection, I'll try to explain:

every time I connected to my ISP the connection-phase was ok (the
log showed me no errors). But when I tried seeing the web-pages I got a
lot of time-out errors, like the site was down/unreachable.
So I rebooted in Windows and all was fine (the site was up&operative).
So I booted under Linux/BeOS/QNX and all give me the same response: the
connection was fine.
But every time I used FreeBSD I got that random errors.
And the major strangeness is that this error was not really random.
For example the site x.mame.net wasn't accesible for 99%  of my try, but
seldom It worked.
Other sites worked well every time. The Mirabilis server (icq
server) worked only in the pair days and so on....

This problem disappeared when I rebuilded world using only "-O -march=k6
-pipe".

So if you need any other info, I'm here

Paolo

p.s. Apologize me for my bad english..=P

p.p.s. Can we change the subject of the email?