Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 23:45:32 PST
From:      "Some Person" <ntvsunix@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Connectivity Issues/Problems...

Hey ppl,

    I'm having some weird weird issues. I have lets say 2 FreeBSD machines
(more in reality) @ home, both have two NICs.
One NIC on each for the internal LAN via hub, 100Mbs Mactronix - mx0 & mx1
devices (on the problem machine). And the other NICs for external network,
ADSL.

From say machine A, I can ping machine B fine sometimes, or for a limited
time (Machine B, being the one with the problem, and not A.)

I can telnet into machine B from A, I can ping B from A, and vice versa then
maybe some odd minutes later, or sometimes after a reboot of Machine B, I
can't ping B from A. "host down".
If I logon to the console of machine B, and ping A then ping from A -> B
starts working again. As if the NIC somehow goes into sleep mode?
If I'm telnet'd in, leave it there for a while, it'll eventually drop
connection.

I'm checked the NICs for any IRQ conflicts, changed PCI buses, changed
cable, change hub ports, still samething. Does anyone have any ideas, or how
I can start to diagnose this more? I'm out of ideas and don't know where
else to turn.

On the internal LAN, I'm using RFC1918 based IP's, 192.168.x.x/24.

FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE on Machine B and FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE on machine A.

Machine B is just a p5-133 w/48megs RAM but running great. No X installed,
minimal install.

If anyone has any ideas to this or anything, could you please let me know,
I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. I need to get this corrected as I
plan on having machine B as my NAT router/Firewall/Bastion host, and
eventually (jsut for fun) setting up a DMZ with a third NIC.

Please CC to my e-mail address, especially if from freebsd-net@freebsd.org
as I'm not on the mailing list yet, and can't afford being on too many
mailing lists as I'm already swamped in email.

Thanks!

ntvsunix@hotmail.com