Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:22:55 -0800
From:      Chris Browning <brownie@earthling.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lots 'o PCI slots

All,
  I think this is a very interesting topic for FreeBSD to look at. I
have been thinking about getting some of the free Un*xes to
support I2O.  There are many advantages to using it.

1) OS & Adapter drivers are separated.  Now, you only need to write
an OS driver the interfaces to an abstract devices, like a "SCSI
controller" or a "NIC".  The device specific  stuff is all handled
by a OS independent adaptor driver.  Therefore, you would only need
to have a couple of drivers to support all adapter cards that support
I20 can then be used with the OS.

2) The IOP (I/O Platform) handles interrupts & servicing the devices
it supports.  This reduces the overhead that the OS & host platform
must spend servicing  I/O request and leaves them more time to do
computations, etc.

3) Peer, Device-to-device transfers are possible.  A SCSI adapter can
copy a file out to the network without the main CPUs even being
interrupted.  It is all handled by the IOP.

Well, that is a short plop about I2O

> I'm ignorant of the I2O/i960 hardware setup, but I believe the i960
> has an
> onboard APIC interrupt controller.  Do such motherboards require the
> use
> of the APICs to handle the concept of driver offloading?  If so, as
> the person
> writing most of the SMP APIC code, it might be a good idea for me to
> find
> out more so that I can consider this issue when making arch.
> decisions...

Well, I just thumbed through the I2O spec, and it made no mention of
APICs or even much about how interrupts with the host system are
handled.  I am guessing that this is implementation specific.  If I
find out anything more that I can tell you, I'll let you know.

Hmm, I wonder if I were to write a I20 driver for Linux or FreeBSD would
anyone get upset (I think all Intel employees are I20 SIG members :-)

Chris

Not speaking for anyone, especially Intel.