Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 07:02:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <chuck@bus.net>
To:        Jeff Hupp <jhupp@black.gensys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rdist

On Thu, 2 May 1996, Jeff Hupp wrote:

> > Has anyone gotten rdist to run properly from cron?  I keep getting
> > `permission denied' since cron runs as root.  Suggestions?
> >

> 	Create an 'rdist user.'  Set that user's shell to the script you
> want to do the rdist work.  Run a script from cron that does an su to
> that users.  Works like a champ.

Thanks Jeff.

I may have been ambiguous here; everything works on the local machine,
the `permission denied' is coming from the remote machine.  rdist(1)
starts from cron and reads /etc/Distfile but the remote machine refuses
the connection since the user is root.  The work that is being done
requires root access (copying system files, restarting daemons, etc).

The same behavior can be seen if you do a `rcp /etc/aliases
rem:/etc/aliases' as root.  root owns the files on both machines, but
the connection is refused to the superuser.  According to ruserok(3),
the /etc/hosts.equiv file is ignored when the remote user is superuser.

Thanks,
Chuck