Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2012 23:18:19 +0200
From:      Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doceng@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org, www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CALL FOR REVIEW] doc and www converted to XML

Em 21-08-2012 21:54, Simon L. B. Nielsen escreveu:

> On 20 Aug 2012, at 17:48, Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear Folks,
>>
>> I'm glad to announce that the first milestone of the XML migration is
>> available for review in the projects/sgml2xml branch. To check it out,
>> run the following:
>>
>> svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/doc/projects/sgml2xml sgml2xml
>>
>> The build process - from the end user perspective - works in the same
>> way. In short, use make all at the proper place, to build only web, run
>> make all WEB_ONLY=yes in the htdocs dir, etc. Then use make install with
>> DESTDIR defined to install files to the proper place.
>
> We really should fix this (the magic of en/htdocs building other languages too etc; DESTDIR not meaning what it does in base etc.), but that can be done later.

Agreed. Besides, we have DOCDIR, WEBGRP, DOCGRP. They should just be
DESTDIR and DOCGRP. But I think it comes from the times when doc and www
were separated more physically.

> I looked at a random page, and the identation for the header is a bit funny. Is that just an artifact of an automatic conversion or? Example: http://svnweb.freebsd.org/doc/projects/sgml2xml/en_US.ISO8859-1/htdocs/logo.sgml?revision=39396&view=markup

Yes, it was a scripted conversion and because of the indentation of
files is not consistent, I couldn't do it in a way that would match all
files.

> If you are going to change it, could you please change it to use svn and with a REPO path we can set from the web build wrapper? I would REALLY like if we could get the web build fixed to never try to get data from the internet.

I don't think it is (a) entirely possible and I'm not sure if it's (b)
practical.
(a) You cannot easily build INDEX as part of the doc build and there are
some pages that already depend on remote resources. I remember that
something fetches some .rdf files and the GNOME newsflash used to pull
in some official GNOME news. This part stopped to work so I commented it
out.
(b) I think depending on having a local svn mirror of ports is worse
than just fetching a simple file. Ok, you could set the repo path to the
remote repo but that needs setup and fetching from http just works out
of the box.

What do others think?

> Do that mean that the current build dependencies are unchanged?

Yes. We went to DocBook 4.2 but it was already a dependency. And I could
build everything on freefall.

> Thanks for working on this! We were talking on doing this when I was a new doc committer :-).

It is indeed quite overdue but the rest will be probably much easier.

Gabor