Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 20:05:18 +1100
From:      "Sean Winn" <sean@gothic.net.au>
To:        <hhudson@eschelon.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: secure server

SSL served web pages cannot be cached by a public proxy-cache, such as
squid, or MS-Proxy; they can be proxied (there's a CONNECT method in HTTP
for that purpose), but that just allows a connection, not a cacheable
object. Only the browser sees the cacheable objects.

Lynx in it's normal configuration cannot handle SSL; it has to be patched to
do it; libwww under Perl requires add-ons to do SSL as well (so hand-tooled
scripts need help); PHP cannot open https URLs, though it can open FTP or
HTTP ones. fetch, wget, and others also don't support SSL...