Date:      Mon, 08 Oct 2001 23:39:37 -0500
From:      Bob Van Valzah <Bob@BGPBook.Com>
To:        FreeBSD-Hardware@FreeBSD.Org, FreeBSD-SCSI@FreeBSD.Org, FreeBSD-Install@FreeBSD.Org, FreeBSD-FS@FreeBSD.Org, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.Org, FreeBSD-Config@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Vinum Bootstrapping Article Reviewers Wanted

I'm working on an article that describes how to get started using Vinum
(software RAID). After a gentle introduction, it takes the reader
through the process starting with /stand/sysinstall and ending with a
sever with mirrored volumes. It also covers several hardware failure
scenarios and the recovery techniques needed to get a server back to
normal. I'd like to make sure that the step-by-step procedures that it
contains are correct for a wide audience.

Folks experienced with Vinum could help by reviewing the article and
commenting on subtleties I've missed. Vinum newbies could by providing a
perspective that I lack. I'd particularly like to find reviewers who
tried to get Vinum going in the past but gave up.

You'll need to have access to a CPU on which you can do fresh FreeBSD
installs. Anything better than a 486 with 8 MB of RAM should be ok as
long as you can get to installation media. You'll need two or more disk
drives of at least 500 MB or so. IDE or SCSI, mix & match are ok.

The article is about 30 pages, so you'll need time to read it and try
the procedures. I'd budget at least 2-3 hours, more if you'll have to
scrape the hardware together. Comments returned to me in the next few
days might make it into a version of the article that I hope will appear
in the next print edition of the handbook.

So if you have the necessary time, hardware, and inclination, please
drop me a line and I'll get you a draft!

    Thanks,

    Bob