Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 01:55:33 +0100
From:      Marek Salwerowicz <marek_sal@wp.pl>
To:        kuriyama@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: emulators/virtio-kmod - poor performance in VirtualBox

Hi,

I would like to test the 'intnet' networking mode in VirtualBox 4.2.4
(under FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE), running 2 VMs with FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 amd64
each.

After installing your port kernel detected the 'virtio' interface and I
configured the IP on both machines.

I used the 'ttcp' program to test the network performance between
machines and I noticed that average transfer rate is around 6-7 KB/s
(while using eg. the Intel emulator, |82540EM, it's much better, around
100 KB/s)

Do you have an idea why this is so slow?

And why the if_vtnet network driver isn't provided in GENERIC kernel? Is
it still under development?

Regards,

--
Marek Salwerowicz