Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 03:26:10 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw rules for incoming passive mode ftp connections

Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com> types:
> If you have a pasiv ftpd setup, how do you control what port something
> like a windows ftp client can use with ipfw. The range I am seeing is
> way beyond what is suggested and you know that people are going to
> blame the FreeBSD ftp server when they get the terrible response that
> produces.

You don't need to control what port the client uses for passive FTP,
you need to control what port the server uses.

With active FTP, the client sends a request to the server asking for
data, and telling the server what port to send it to. The server
opens a second connection back to the client and sends the data. This
causes headaches for most firewalls around the client.

With passive FTP, the client sends a request to the server asking for
data, and the SERVER tells the client what port to get it from. The
client opens the second connection to the server and gets the
data. This goes through firewalls around the client just fine, which
is why it became popular in the early 90s.

As you're discovering, the headaches that active FTP had around the
client now exist around the server. But there are fewer servers, and
they are presumably run by smarter people, so it can be dealt with.

Commercial firewalls deal with this by monitoring connections that
came to port the ftp port on either side of them, parsing the commands
for port numbers and adding the appropriate dynamic rules.

You ought to be able to make ftpd do passive IP from ports 49152 -
65535. In fact, it ought to do that by default. Since it's not, it's
probably doing 1024 - 49151. So long as you have any real services
running in that range (X comes immediately to mind, and possibly some
of the rpc related things), you should be ok.

	<mike