Date:      Wed, 09 Jun 1999 13:20:36 -0400
From:      McHugh <mchugh@actv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: dns]

Get O'Reilly's DNS and BIND - ISBN 1 56592 512 2 - has a load of
examples covering both BIND 4.x and BIND 8.x files and their
differences.

That being said - it's pretty easy:
Throw these lines in /etc/rc.conf
named_enable="YES"
named_program="/usr/sbin/named"

By default, named looks in /etc/namedb for configuration files.  The
biggest changes happen in yer named.conf file.

// BIND configuration file - names & numbers changed to protect the
innocent

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";
        forwarders { 172.16.50.254; 172.16.60.254; };
};

zone "yernamehere.com" in {
        type slave;
        file "db.yernamehere";
        masters { 172.16.70.254; };
        allow-transfer { 172.16.80.254; };
};

zone "30.16.172.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "db.172.16.30";
        allow-transfer { none; };
};

etc...

Hope this helps..

Michael McHugh

"My friends, no matter how rough the road may be, we can and we will
never, never surrender to what is right." - Dan Quayle, Former U.S. Vice
President (1947-)