Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 06:10:00 -0400
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo@eircom.net>
Cc:        Dimitry Andric <dim@xs4all.nl>, jonny@jonny.eng.br, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with 4.3-RELEASE compiler

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

>         I have been working getting swish++ set up as a port (4.3-STABLE) and
> I've found that the search program only works if compiled with no -O setting,
> -O3 (the original) and -O cause segmentation violation, while -O2 gave an
> illegal instruction trap. The index program OTOH appears to work with all
> optimisations settings.
>
>         It makes me wonder just how safe -O is :(

I think Window Maker compiles parts of its code with -O0.  Must be for
good reason.  I think the only time you're going to see a huge
difference due to advandced gcc optimization levels (-O2 and up) is if
you have a lot of very large loops in your code.  In the real world,
there really aren't too many apps that have enormous nested loops.  If
you want to make a program run faster, you've got to write implement
better algorithms, and its as simple as that.  Beyond that, you'll just
have to get faster HW.  I think most compilers have optimization bugs,
because you use them with the understanding that they generate
faster/smaller code at the expense of potential side effects.