Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 2000 12:01:30 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: troubleshooting tree revisited

> How many variants of HTML is it going to kick out?  One question per
> page?  All questions in one page?  One section per page?

Probably one per page unless we simply put them all up on one page and
use section tags to jump around.  The point is to make it an
interactive experience rather than forcing the user to have to read
every question in linear fashion or even do the "jumping" by hand.
Think of it as a computer-assisted binary search.

> How do I specify the conversion process (i.e., the stylesheet that's
> applied) to migrate from the internal document format to the HTML.

That would be up to the presentation piece.  The database would just
be a flat decision tree with enough information to navigate it, the
presenter could be anything from a CGI spitting out HTML to a Java
applet which never touches HTML at all.

> How do I make it easy to translate the decision tree text to other
> languages?

That's a good question. Maybe some sort of import/export format
(that's lighter-weight than XML! :).

> How do I flag certain questions as only being appropriate for specific
> releases of FreeBSD?

That's the beauty of a decision tree.  You just have a question early
on which asks which release you're running if that turns out to be
a differentiator, otherwise it isn't one.  Didn't you ever play
"animals"? :)

- Jordan