Date:      Sun, 06 Sep 1998 18:41:15 -0700
From:      Phil Staub <phils@casa.staub.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xterm problems

I've finally gotten around to asking a question that has been bugging me for
the past couple of years(!).

For many versions of FreeBSD in the past, and in my current installation
(2.2.7-STABLE), I'm having a problem with XFree86 (S3 Server, Number Nine
GXE864 (not Pro) video) and 'ls' with the xterm window wider than about 100
columns.

What I'm seeing is that the first row of the output starts out ok, but after a
certain point, the line is blank up to the last character of the line. It
looks like columns that *should* have been on the first line are wrapped on to
the second line, except for the first character of the first entry on the
second line.

For example, the directory listing I'm looking at right now is my home
directory. It appears that the following entries should be on the first line:

980828Status.txt
afterstep.core
cecilia1.txt
gdj.txt
nsnews
sound1.txt

Instead, the first 4 entries are on the first line, then a wide blank space,
and then the 'n' from 'nsnews' is at the end of the line. The second line
contains the remainder of nsnews ('snews'), followed by the last entry,
sound1.txt.
Each line is split into two pieces like this.

As should be obvious, this is *not* os version sensitive, nor is it sensitive
to window managers, because I've used many with this video board, all with the
same results.

This is the only S3 board I have available to try, and none of the other
boards I've seen have had any problem like this.

My question is, obviously, can anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might
be happening, and what I can do about it?

Thanks,
Phil

--
Phil Staub, KE7HC		Senior Software Engineer
phil@staub.net			Audio Precision, Inc.