Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:15:50 -0700
From:      Stephen Byan <Stephen.Byan@quantum.com>
To:        "'Justin Gibbs'" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Stephen Byan <Stephen.Byan@quantum.com>
Cc:        mbendiks@eunet.no, Stephen Byan <Stephen.Byan@quantum.com>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, freeBSD-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: disable write caching with softupdates?

Justin Gibbs [mailto:gibbs@plutotech.com] wrote:

> > Without write caching, you pay one disk rotation for each
> sequential write.
>
> This should not be the case if you are allowed to overlap
> commands.  The
> only penalty should be increased latency in seeing a write complete.

You're correct. I was writing with respect to ATA drives, of which I believe
only IBM's support write queuing, so I overlooked the case where queuing is
available.

I'm not that familiar with ATA in practice; the spec for ATA queuing looked
sufficiently convoluted (i.e. a kludge) that it wasn't obvious to me that it
would be a performance win to implement it.

Regards,
-Steve