Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 10:34:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hosokawa@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New artwork for 3.0 CD cover?

>  Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Dear Tatsumi-san,
> >
> > We're strongly thinking of making a departure from the classic "daemon
> > walking out of a CD" artwork which we've been using for the last few
> > years here in order to give 3.0, a product with lots of new features,
> > a new look to match.

Hello BSDaemons,

  My comments on the daemon logo, and how it influenced me to try FreeBSD.

  I have been using FreeBSD for several months.
Previous to FreeBSD I purchased several different Linux distributions,
and a half-dozen Linux books. Greg Lehey's book 'clicked' with me, and
provided enough help and enthusiasm for me to carry thru with FreeBSD from
Linux.

  Afterwards I thought "Why was this?".
  I like to think of myself as logical and rational, not vulnerable to
marketing, advertising, etc. Yet a significant factor in my initial
preference for FreeBSD vs Linux was the difference in the mascots: the
BSDaemon vs the Penguin.

  I LIKE Penguins. I have seen (and smelled!) tens of thousands of them
during an expedition to the Antarctic. But the Linux penguin is too
"plopped down and inanimate" to really appeal to me. It lacks personality.
   The BSDaemon on the cover of Mr Lehey's book exhibits 'personality'.
He is moving, his eyes are reading, and his look is one of a "Dennis the
Menace" type -- good at heart, but you never quite know what to expect
next.

  I realize that most posts to these FreeBSD Mailing Lists are of a
technical nature, unlike this message. With my technical credentials
and background I am hesitant to "broadcast to the world" that some
cartoon character was a factor in my trying FreeBSD.
  Yet that is the truth.
  I believe that others might have a similar reaction.
The a mascot can be a major factor in a person's perception of a
technical and abstract product. Moreso than most will admit.

  Now, of course, after working with FreeBSD I am begining to appreciate
the technical excellence of the product. But that daemon is still
appealing!

SUMMARY:
  A BSDaemon 'in motion' with 'lively eyes' and a 'personaility'
was important in getting my attention to FreeBSD. This mascot is very
important to 'represent and popularize' a complex product like BSD.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat