Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 19:23:35 -0800
From:      "Jeffery T. White" <zellion@cyberwind.com>
To:        "Joerg Wunsch" <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: named

----------
> From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
> To: current@FreeBSD.ORG
> Cc: Jeffery T. White <zellion@cyberwind.com>; Jordan K. Hubbard
<jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> Subject: Re: named
> Date: Sunday, March 23, 1997 11:40 PM
>
> As Jeffery T. White wrote:
>
> > Couple of things on named:
> > 1. The file /etc/namedb/make-localhost is a script but is not installed
> > with the execute bit set, pretty minor but figured I'd bring it up
since it
> > seems install could do that.
>
> People seem to run it as `sh make-localhost', but maybe it should get
> an x-bit, yes.
>
> > 2. I had to buy books to find out about the "caching-only" named setup.
>
> Hmm.  What else than running make-localhost did you need in order to
> start a caching-only named?  The default named.boot file does exactly
> this, and nothing more.
>
> I agree that perhaps sysinstall could offer setting up the named
> framework as an option in the network setup screen.  Jordan?  Despite
> of running make-localhost, it could also ask for forwarders, and
> whether the named should be caching-only.  That's all you can do in a
> generic setup.  Still enough of a framework if someone wants to add
> more primary or secondary zones later.
Ahh, yes you are right the sample files do just that, they just don't tell
you in the comments. The thing is that the average joe doesn't even know
that. The man page leads one to believe that they need to setup a secondary
or primary server. About half way through the named man page I was like
"Yikes this is serious" :-) and I suppose setting up a primary or secondary
is not a process to be taken lightly however this is a no brainer if a
person just knew that it exists in the first place. The install idea would
be really cool.

One thing I added was a cron entry to fetch a new named.root from NIC every
so often, if you were going to do a sysinstall that might also be something
to think about. If not it still might be a useful commented out line...