Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 04:17:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Shen Zhijian <shen_zhijian@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/41199: KDE failed after installing kde-studio 2.0.0 package.

>Number:         41199
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       KDE failed after installing kde-studio 2.0.0 package.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD  4.6-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE #0: Sat Jul 13 22:46:43 NZST 2002
root@:/usr/src/sys/compile/SOUNDKERN  i386

I have FreeBSD release 4.6 working in my PC.
The KDE (3.0.1 ? I forgot the exact version) coming with this release works well.
But after I install the kde-studio 2.0.0 package, the disaster occurs.
I cannot start kde again. The X window seems still working.

The symptom now is like this:
After type
#startx
The X window occurs with white screen, and give a message "Couldn't start ksmserver.

Check your installation."
The only action I can choose is a button <okay>.
Then I press the button. Then return to the console (command prompt screen).
#

So I think it may be because of the installation of kde-studio 2.0.0 package.
For some files do not come from the FreeBSD release 4.6 CD. These files are downloaded

by myself. They may have some overwriting or conflict with the KDE.
These files are:
fam-2.6.8.tgz,
freetype2-2.1.1.tgz,
kdelibs-2.2.2_3.tgz,
kdestudio-2.0.0.tgz,
libiconv-1.8.tgz,
libxml2-2.4.22_1.tgz,
libxslt-1.0.18.tgz,
Mesa-3.4.2_2.tgz,
png-1.2.3.tgz,
qt-2.3.1_2.tgz.

#uname -a
FreeBSD  4.6-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE #0: Sat Jul 13 22:46:43 NZST 2002

root@:/usr/src/sys/compile/SOUNDKERN  i386

#

How can I solve this problem? I want my kde to come back working. I have so much

things need to use it. And a re-installation of FreeBSD system is too too troublesoum,

because I have lots of additional software and works files installed in the system.

Could you please give me help?
>How-To-Repeat:
Install kde-studio 2.0.0 package, with other needed packages in FreeBSD 4.6 release system, running kde 3.0.1.

The file for installing kde-studio 2.0.0 are:
fam-2.6.8.tgz,
freetype2-2.1.1.tgz,
kdelibs-2.2.2_3.tgz,
kdestudio-2.0.0.tgz,