Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2001 19:46:18 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   MFC'ing new md(4) functionality?

Is there any reason not to MFC the new md(4) functionality (i.e., swap
and vnode support)?  With MFS and vn(4) gone in -current, I think that
the sooner users can start moving to md(4) in -stable the less cries
there will be come 5.0-RELEASE.

Additionally, the porting effort is not that great.  mdconfig(8) and
mdioctl.h aren't in -stable so those can be brought over verbatim, and the
only changes to md.c itself are bio->buf stuff, and some added spl's.  I've
put the diff for the latter against -stable at
http://www.unixfreak.org/~dima/home/mdmfc.diff.  If someone wants a diff
between that and -current for review let me know and I'll generate one.

I'm also willing to do the actual merges if no one else has time, so the
question raised in the first paragraph remains: is there any reason not to
do this?

Thanks in advance,

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org