Date:      Mon, 27 Jun 2016 14:06:51 +0100
From:      Shamim Shahriar <shamim.shahriar@gmail.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sendmail: using sendmail as submitting MTA

On 27 Jun 2016 11:03 am, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> We use a monitoring server (icinga2) based on FreeBSD embedded in a closed
> network (no external access) with a M$ mailexchange server.
>
> I try to configure local sendmail in a way so that all email going to the
> localhost are delivered to the local machine itself, but email for an
external
> email account is passed to the mail hub server. This mail hub server is
> accessible by any host in the closed network without authentication (this
is
> given by a higher instance as a fact I can not change).
>
> I tried to figure out with the recent handbook but the explanation of how
> configure sendmail is really poor. Since I'm not that familiar with
sendmail
> itself anymore, I appreciate some startups here.
>
> As I understand the docs, the files
>
> hostname.localdomain.mc
>
> and
>
> hostname.localdomain.submit.mc
>
> are the only ones I need to touch, along with
>
> mailertable
>
> for the resolution of the target domain and the mail-hub server to
contact.

> The target email domain would be foobar.bla, so I use an entry in
mailertable
> like
>
> foobar.bla      esmtp:[IP4] (no MX record usage)
> .foobar.bla     esmtp:[IP4]
>
> There is no suitable access to a DNS for MX resolution (all Microsoft
crap), so
> I have an /etc/host entry for the mailhub server - or mail relaying
server. But
> nothing works so far. Checking the mail queue with mailq gives me always
on all
> outbound emails
>
> host map: lookup (foobar.bka): deferred
>
> What is wrong?
>
> Please CC me, I' do not subscribe this specific list.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Oliver
>
> P.S. I ggoled for that specific error and got lots of how-tos but it
seems that
> none of them worked so far. I guess I miss something. I already did a
>
> make all install
>
> in /etc/mail after every change.

Hello

Two possible things to try if you have not already

First, in /etc/mail, please run
make all install restart

The restart bit forces sendmail to reread the config and also mailertable.

If that doesn't work, in your /etc/hosts add an entry for foobar.bla

Then restart sendmail.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Regards