Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 10:01:27 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        remy@synx.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc & CAM: strange diagnostic

Remy NONNENMACHER writes:
> > I just replaced a Barracuda 9GB disk with an IBM 18G and the drive
> > is very much cooler. I will put some IBM 10K 9G in later tonight.
> >

> I've 6 of them along with 2 Atlas and the 9G 10K IBM are really going
> hot (in all meaning of the word :)). An interesting thing is that they
> feature a temp. probe that can be read through status pages.
> Environmental 21 deg.C give a 35/37 deg.C internal temp.

Any details as to how we too might be able to play with the temperature
status probe you mention? My 7.2k 9G IBM drive might support it too.

I have a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer mounted on my case. Probe
is taped to the HD. Its running 38C now, 11C over the external
temperature of the PC's case.

Was using a max/min model but decided it was needed worse elsewhere.