Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:03:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        "Michael V. Harding" <mvh@netcom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'Code Freeze'

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Robert Withrow wrote:

>mvh@netcom.com said:
>:-  The result to a long time CD  subscriber like myself is that I have
>:- _never_ received a FreeBSD CD that is  useful to me by itself.
>
>Say Haleluja.
>
>(And don't go telling me I can return it for a credit.  That isn't the
>point!)
>
>My advice, which I'm sure everyone will ignore, is for Jordan and
>friends to 'fess up and admit that the current state of "stable" isn't
>stable enough for cutting a CD release, re-freeze now and only allow
>bug fixes for the next 30-45 days (including fixes for the slice
>stuff) and *then* cut the release.  I'm pretty sure everyone *buying*
>the CD's would rather a delay than [another] less-than-completely-stable
>release.

Let me add my paltry two bits in concurrance. From what I've seen.
2.1.7 is _stable_ though ignored. 2.2.X seems to be current and 3.0,
or whatever is beyond, seems to be a work in progress. Truth is, 2.1.7
does everything I need done. If I had to make a choice of versions to
put into a demanding environment for which I had to take
responsibility, it would be 2.1.7.

Don't get me wrong -- 2.2.X has also been reliable from an operational
standpoint, but I've had to chase fixes far more than I like.
It's the login.conf and slice type of changes that change the world on
us.

Many of us use FreeBSD for real work and consider it as good as or
better than many commercial Unices -- so our expectations are higher
and, perhaps, more demanding. (I went through the AIX 4.2.X storm and
nothing in FreeBSD has nailed me that hard :-) We don't see it as a
toy or an experimental test bed.

What Micheal is suggesting is something that would satisfy everyone.
Why rush new changes into an impending release? -SABLE goes on for
those who want to have the latest, and -CURRENT goes on for those
who bleed, but a _stable_ CD is something the rest of us can install
and walk away from without midnight pages.

I am truly grateful for the effort everyone associated with FreeBSD
has invested to make available to me an OS as good as this, and to
Walnut Creek for making the CDs available. I am subscribed and would
be happy to pay for 2.2.6 and 7 and 8 and 9, etc., but login.conf and
slice changes seems to make more for 2.3.x than 2.2.x. (ELF, by the
way seems more like 6.0.x -- I hope :-)

My point -- and I think, Micheal's, is that a truly stable CD would
raise FreeBSD far above the run of the mill Unices -- commercial or
otherwise.

-- Jay

>I've been trying to propogate a CD release within my company for the last
>1.5 years, and so far every release requires patches and hacks to get it
>to work correctly.  I understand that it is free software, but it
>seems to me, as it seems to the above author, that if the release were
>just cut 1 month earlier or later it would be a much better story.

-- Jay