Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:42:22 -0400
From:      tcobb@staff.circle.net
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   On freezes in 3.2-Stable

This is a follow-up to series of postings a few
days ago about freezes in 3.2-S on a heavily loaded
large memory SMP machine.

The symptoms were that almost daily we'd either get
a complete system freeze, with no response to network
or keyboard (and no panic), or we'd get one of
the processors "stuck" with a single process in
the RUN state that could not be killed.

There were several thoughts as to why this happened,
including a discovery of an Intel Pentium III Erratum
which describes the freeze symptoms exactly.

After replacing the BIOS in the machine with an update
to work around the problem, a freeze still occurred.

The machine is:
Supermicro P6DBU
Dual PIII-550 w/ 512K cache
1GB ECC RAM
DPT RAID controller
3COM 3C905B NIC

HOWEVER, I've been able to avoid a freeze for the past
36 hours now by doing one simple thing -- removing the last
256MB ECC RAM stick out of the box, leaving it with only
768MB.

The removed RAM has tested out just fine, so that leaves
one of two possibilities:

1. Supermicro can't handle a full 1GB, despite their specs
OR
2. FreeBSD can't handle that much memory in a stable manner

There have been talks of some large memory patches floating
around, but a search of the mailing lists turned up nothing.

Anyone know if patching FreeBSD is required in order to support
1GB RAM?  Anyone successfully running their box w/ 1GB RAM
and 3.2-S?

Thanks!

-Troy Cobb
 Circle Net, Inc.