Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 14:55:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@fly.HiWAAY.net>
To:        bkyle@sfu.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  FreeBSD .ZIP or something

bkyle@sfu.ca writes:
> Hi.
>
>    I want to install Free BSD.  At school, I have a high-speed internet
> connection, and I want to download the latest stable version, copy it onto
> floppies and take it home to install.
>
>    I can't seem to find any kind of 'one file' .ZIP archive or something.
> Looking on your www.freebsd.org, I found the various release directories
> containing all the files as they appear on the CD-Roms, but is there a
> single .ZIP file I could download to get it all at once?  I don't want to
> have to FTP each file seperately, and make my own directory structure to
> put them in.

This is probably what you want to do:

ftp ftp.cdrom.com
cd /pub/FreeBSD
binary
get 2.2.2-RELEASE.tar

No, there isn't a 2.2.2-RELEASE.tar but wcarchive will make one for
you on the fly. Might also have to do the same for XF8633 and one
or two other things as they are symlinks and you will only get the
link in your tar file.

Once you get that monster on a local filesystem its up to you to
figure out how to put the right parts on floppy for a floppy inst.
Think the instructions are in the handbook or in a README or similar.
Personally, I either copy to tape, or a 386sx16 4.5MB luggable
not-really-small-enough-to-be-a-laptop. Its not battery powered but
has an ISA slot with an 8-bit 3Com card and 850MB IDE HD. So I
install via NFS on friend's machines with that monster.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)