Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 18:18:10 +0000
From:      Ron Brogden <rb@islandnet.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a ftp vuln in 4.3-STABLE

On Tuesday 22 May 2001 18:16, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 May 2001 23:25, you wrote:
> > There is an ftp vuln... I do not have any details on it sorry.. Some
> > kinda overflow.. I would run proftpd

Care to back this up with some data?

From all I have seen on the issue, ProFTPD has suffered about as many
showstoppers as WU-FTPD.  I am not claiming that WU-FTPD is necessarily
better, just that I see it as no worse and it is definitely not an
immediate "solution" to security hassles.   It is *not* like comparing IIS
to Apache (since Apache suffers way less security problems in the
codebase), more like comparing Netscape (Iplanet) to IIS.

=)

In the Bugtraq Archives there are 12 vulnerability postings for WU-FTPD and
8 for ProFTPD.  Of the WU-FTPD ones, one is not actually in WU-FTPD and a
couple more are ancient.  Also, a bunch are really just the same issue from
different vendors.  Of the ProFTPD issues, there is a DOS as well as buffer
overflows, format strings, etc.  Nothing there suggests it has an even
remotely better security record.  I cringe when I see people suggest that
ProFTPD is more secure because the facts do not bear it out and I fear it
gives folks a false sense of security.

IMHO of course.

Cheers,

Ron