Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:57:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/32377: new FAQ

>Number:         32377
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       new FAQ
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

today's -doc tree

This question has been coming up for a while.  I guess XP has people a
little annoyed.  :)

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

*** en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.sgml-dist	Wed Nov 28 07:41:22 2001
--- en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.sgml	Thu Nov 29 09:55:06 2001
***************
*** 132,137 ****
--- 132,180 ----
        </qandaentry>

        <qandaentry>
+         <question id="replace-current-OS">
+           <para>Can FreeBSD replace my current operating system?</para>
+         </question>
+
+         <answer>
+           <para>For most people, yes.  But this question isn't quite
+             that cut-and-dried.</para>
+
+           <para>Most people don't actually use an operating system.
+             They use applications.  The applications are what really
+             use the operating system.  FreeBSD is designed to provide
+             a robust and full-featured environment for applications.
+             It supports a wide variety of web browsers, office suites,
+             email readers, graphics programs, programming
+             environments, network servers, and just about everything
+             else you might want.  Most of these applications can be
+             managed through the <ulink
+             url="http://www.freebsd.org/ports/">Ports
+             Collection</ulink>.</para>
+
+           <para>If you need to use an application that is only
+             available on one operating system, you simply cannot
+             replace that operating system.  Chances are there's a very
+             similar application on FreeBSD, however.  If you want a
+             solid office or Internet server, a reliable workstation,
+             or just the ability to do your job without interruptions,
+             FreeBSD will almost certainly do everything you need.
+             Many computer users across the world, including both
+             novices and experienced UNIX administrators, use FreeBSD
+             as their only desktop operating system.</para>
+
+           <para>If you're migrating to FreeBSD from some other UNIX
+             environment, you already know most of what you need to.
+             If your background is in graphic-driven operating systems
+             such as Windows and older versions of Mac OS, expect to
+             invest additional time learning the UNIX way of doing
+             things.  This FAQ and the <ulink
+             url="../handbook/index.html">FreeBSD Handbook</ulink> are
+             excellent places to start.</para>
+         </answer>
+       </qandaentry>
+
+       <qandaentry>