Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 08:35:50 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        "(ML) FreeBSD ISP" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Radius 970424

From: Joe Read <joer@triax.com>

>At 01:15 PM 4/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>If you don't like the current situation, get together with some other
BSD
>>folks on this list and help develop a really good GPL BSD port of
RADIUS.

>>If you're not a coder, you can offer to test.
>
>I like that idea.  I offer to test with a somewhat large user base if
anyone's
>interested in developing a GPL port... Hmm.. Maybe MySQL support and
>NIS support...

NIS support is already there, ala whatever library functions handle that
sort of thing, at least the Ascend radius I use doesn't try to take
/etc/*passwd on it's own.

There is a patch for logging to MySQL already, having radius authenticate
against MySQL would be nice too.

I've often thought about how nice it would be to have an enhanced radius
server available.  Unfortunately, I don't have the coding skills, or the
time needed to figure it all out.  Anyone out there looking for a
project?

Other nice features, would include:
 * group authentication (I've hardcoded my radius to deny
   logins to members of certain groups already)
 * authentication times -
   useful for setting up a 9-5 account or similar.
 * ability to detect and deny multiple logins
 * authentication against an SQL database
 * radius proxy
 * ability to provide auth services for a unix machine,
   serving up passwd information.  Would work like
   NIS or some such, requiring modifications to the current
   password authentication stuff.

--
    Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
    Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services