Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:26:55 +0100
From:      Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
To:        TOPCAT CONSULTING <topcat@sk.sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: determining PPP connection speed?

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 09:55:04PM -0600, TOPCAT CONSULTING wrote:
> How would one configure ppp to report the speed at which
> my modem connects to my ISP's modem?
>=20
> I'm using FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE and from 'show version':
> PPP Version 2.11 - $Date: 1999/05/02 08:59:38 $
>=20
> Oh, I can do it manually, with "ppp" then "term" and then
> ATDT15554443333
> and watching the screen, but is this the ONLY way to see
> the connected speed?  I'm suspecting that many times
> I'm only connecting at 14.4 or 28.8 at best.  When I connect
> at 14.4, I'd like to know so I can disconnect, and hope that a redial
> will negotiate a higher speed.  (Very poor rural telephone line--
> Very expensive USR 56K Courier External modem)
>=20
> :-)
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> end of the original message

=46rom chat(8) manpage:

       -r <report file>
              Set  the file for output of the report strings.  If
              you use the keyword REPORT, the  resulting  strings
              are  written  to  this file.  If this option is not
              used and you still use REPORT keywords, the  stderr
              file is used for the report strings.

Add the REPORT option in your chat script:

# Abort the chat script if the modem replies BUSY or NO CARRIER
ABORT BUSY
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
# Display the CONNECT string in the report file
REPORT CONNECT
# Wait up to 5 seconds for the reply to each of these
TIMEOUT 5
'' ATL1
OK ATDTxxxxxxxxxxx
# Wait 60 seconds for connection
TIMEOUT 60
CONNECT

Then add the option:

-r /var/log/modem.log

to the call of chat program.

Each time you connect to your ISP you'll see something like this in the log
file:

Opening "/var/log/modem.log"...
chat:  Mar 13 09:02:01 CONNECT 49333/ARQ
Closing "/var/log/modem.log".
=20

		Francesco Casadei
--=20
You can download my public key from http://digilander.iol.it/fcasadei/
or retrieve it from a keyserver (pgpkeys.mit.edu, wwwkeys.pgp.net, ...)

Key fingerprint is: 1671 9A23 ACB4 520A E7EE  00B0 7EC3 375F 164E B17B

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU--