Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2021 12:45:41 +0100
From:      "Floyd, Paul" <paulf2718@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: llvm/clang upstream

On 2021-11-30 12:37, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-11-30 at 12:08 +0100, Floyd, Paul wrote:
>> Not sure where the best place is to ask this.
>>
>> Any ideas why llvm seems so incredibly slow in taking FreeBSD patches?
>>
>> It would be nice to be able to just 'git clone && cmake && make'
>> (roughly speaking).
> In my opinion, LLVM is an overgrown project whose organization structure
> didn't follow.  I don't know about FreeBSD patches specifically
> but in general the hardest part is finding someone to approve your
> patch.  Many patches rot without a single reply from anyone, and I think
> the whole process discourages people from trying.

That makes some sense.  The main backers (Apple and Google) have their
own agendas, and are mainly interested in macOS/iOS and Android.

I have seen some effort to free up llvm recently though, they are
migrating their bug database from bugzilla to github. When that's done
I'll try to see if I can find any FreeBSD patch requests, and see if
poking them makes anything move.

A+

Paul