Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:57:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Adam Steffes <asteffes@ucdavis.edu>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Handbook update

Hi.  I'm not exactly sure if this is the correct address to send tidbit
updates about the Handbook to, but you can probably send it on to whomever
it should go to.

I wanted to offer a little info for the tape drive section: Chapter 9,
section 9.1, "Tape Media."

4mm DAT drives are now up to 24 GB capacity using the DDS-3 tape format.
These tapes are around $25 each from HP.

Exbyte now has the "Mammoth" model out, capable of puting up to 24 GB onto
an 8mm tape.  From what I've read, the Mammoth's cost roughly double what
the standard 7/14 GB drives do, at about $3000.

DLT tapes now come in up to 70 GB (with compression) capacity.  the DLT
7000 drives from Quantum are capable of getting the most out of these DLT
"Type IV" tapes.  These tapes cost around $100 each, though.

AIT, a new format from Sony, can hold up to 50 GB (with compression) per
tape.  The tapes cost about $100, but have memory chips on them to keep an
index of the tape's contents.  This index can be read quicly by a tape
drive, instead of taking minutes, like an 8mm drive might, to read the TOC
using tar or something similar that has to actually read the tape itself.
Software such as SAMS:Alexandria can operate 40+ tape libraries of AIT
tapes, communicating directly with the tape's memory chip to display the
contents on screen, and to make it easy and relatively fast for users to
scan a database of what's backed up into the library, switch to the tape
needed, and then pull the data off.  Libraries like this cost around
$20,000.

Hope this is useful.  It is probably already well-known by some, but it
could be nice to see it ni the handbook.  Let me know if there is anything
I can do to get it in there.  :)

---
Adam Steffes