Date:      Sat, 07 Apr 2001 11:41:56 -0400
From:      "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg@home.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Resolver problems with 4.3-RC

Earlier I reported hangs WRT xterm/rlogin and I now have that
mystery solved. It seems that since 4.2-RELEASE the resolver
behavior has changed for certain system components.  I run a
name server on this particular host.

The first clue was that when I did a netstat -a, it hung on
certain interface addresses.  The nslookup and dig commands
all resolve these addresses just fine, however.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT netstat and login/rlogin insist that these
reverse lookups occur in the /etc/hosts file. Once I register
all the addresses there, the 2-minute hangs go away.  Under the
4.2-RELEASE, these were resolving from my nameserver just fine.

Is there a configuration change that I am unaware of?  It sure
is a pain to maintain host numbers in both the name server and
the /etc/hosts file.

Thanks, Warren.

Addendums:

I run a primary name server on my host. The /etc/resolv.conf
thus looks like this:

domain  mydomain.org
nameserver 127.0.0.1

My /etc/host.conf is:

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/host.conf,v 1.6 1999/08/27 23:23:41 peter Exp $
# First try the /etc/hosts file
hosts
# Now try the nameserver next.
bind
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis

Commenting out the hosts line did not seem to help.
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://members.home.net/ve3wwg