Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:16:40 -0100
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system unstable, how to make it stable again ?

At 11:23 29.01.98 -0800, you wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Malte Lance wrote:
>
>> Assume your system got unstable due to some crashes, in such a way,
>> that sometimes it freezes hard (no response from the machine, no ping ...).
>> Assume further that some components (libs or apps or ...) are clobbered
>> and in the best case your apps just core-dump but in the worst case
>> some apps just malfunction and freeze the machine.
>> Assume further a kernel rebuild does not help.
>>
>> Would a "make world" of the source-tree heal the system and make it
>> stable again ?
>>
>> Malte Lance
>> malte@webmore.com
>
>A make world would not necessarily cure all of your troubles.
>
>The big question I ask my self when things go awry is, "What did I
>change?" and, "What are my error messages?" That is the starting point.

changed /usr/X11/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers to include -bpp 16
rebooted
hacked a mpeg1-player
looked at a broken mpeg-file
the hacked mpeg-player freezed
changed back to 8 bpp
rebooted

since then i have occasionally freezes every several hours of the MACHINE !!!
It just sits there and does nothing. Really. No activity. Absolute dead.
Not even a network response from the NIC.
When it freezes i have to switch the machine off and on again.
At reboot the fsck cures the file-systems and everything is fine again.
Then after some hours it freezes again.

I recompiled the kernel without cahnging anything in the config-file, but
it did not help.

>I venture a guess that you removed a mandatory keyword from your kernel
>config file.

Nope.

>Error messages are necessary to get better responses.

Hehe ... as i said, it freezes totally. No coredump, no message, no error,
no log. Just sudden-death.

>What makes
>you think your libs or apps got "clobbered?"

Just a feeling.
It looks more like the symptoms of bad memory, but i did not change any
memory-modules and why should my memory go bad suddenly ?
Ok it could happen ... but it is not very likely.

Malte Lance
malte@webmore.com

>Good Luck,
Hm ... thanks.