Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 21:43:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        y0002257@ws.rz.tu-bs.de (Sven Brandenburg)
Subject:   Re: turning off scsi disks

As Sven Brandenburg wrote:

> I suppose turning off a scsi harddisk with the scsi(8) command and
> START/STOPUNIT crashes the whole system rather than reducing noise
> ;-)

You can turn it off while it's not opened.  The hooks for turning it
on are already in place (they need to go a couple of lines above in
order to work correctly).  I'm actually doing this with my MO drive in
the `od' driver, to avoid heat generation and laser and mechanics
abration while it's not being mounted.

Making it spin down while being idle would require additional timers
in the driver, but should not be undoable.  However, the hook to turn
it on must be moved into the sdstart routine then (perhaps activated
by some additonal flag in the sd_data structure that is being set by
the timeout handler when spinning it down).

--
cheers, J"org