Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:24:07 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ghostscript 5 port is broken

>  *  - It requires the jpeg6 and png ports for building, but fails to
>  *    detect that they are already installed.  Instead, it depends on
>  *    the file /nonexistent, ie. it *always* extracts, builds and installs
>  *    both these ports.  This will fail if they have already been
>  *    installed.
> You need a new bsd.port.mk for both these things.

How does a new bsd.port.mk handle depending on /nonexistent in the
ghostscript5 Makefile as opposed to depending on the relevant shared
libraries?

> Really.  I'm building all ports (except interactive or restricted
> ones) about once per week now.  Please do not expect something this
> basic to be broken so long, and do not send mail to -ports without
> upgrading at least your bsd.port.mk to the latest version.

It looks like something stale happened (this is supposed to be my
2.2.5-BETA test system, but it's misbehaving such that I think
something got splatted, but believe me I wouldn't have bothered to
with the port.

mike