Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 23:20:43 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Micheal Patterson <micheal@ionet.net>
Cc:        Brian Gallucci <noc@expnet.net>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFW !!

In the last episode (May 01), Micheal Patterson said:
> From: Brian Gallucci <noc@expnet.net>
> > Can someone tell me what this means ->
> >
> > ipfw: 65534 Deny P:54 216.160.169.60 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in via fxp0
> > ipfw: 65534 Deny P:54 216.160.169.60 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in via fxp0
> >                                ^^^^^
> >
> > What is P:54 ?
>
> This looks like something that I've seen myself a time or two. From
> what I've seen in my logs, it would appear that all of the entry
> wasn't logged. When I see it, it's when my dx4 100 is under a heavy
> load and logging things like mad (mail, ipfw, etc) and simply missed
> something. I've seen other entries with the ip info but get cut short
> at the interface as well.

Nah; IPFW prints that when it can't determine the IP protocol type
(usually TCP, UDP or ICMP).  Unfortunately, protocol #54 isn't listed
in /etc/protocols.  If you get it very often, see if you can add a
"dump" flag to the ipfw ruleset that dumps the entire packet to syslog.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com