Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:35:20 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        Kim Culhan <w8hdkim@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: r238613 NF cal didn't finish

On 21 July 2012 03:43, Kim Culhan <w8hdkim@gmail.com> wrote:

> The system has been running in its current config for > 12 hours with no
> instances of the nfcal message.

Yup.

So what's happening (now that I have 30 seconds of spare time):

* the initial reset path in the HAL starts an NF calibration;
* then the driver _immediately_ calls the HAL calibration routine,
which checks if an NF cal is in progress;
* .. and since the previously started one may still be in progress, it
skips (re)starting a new one.

It only shows up on:

* AR5416, in moderately noisy environments;
* any of the chips, if there's a very strong interferer signal present;
* in station mode with scanning, as there's lots of channel changes going on.

The print is there because I'd like to be told if it's constantly
happening. It coincides with strong interference and/or RX deafness,
so it's good to have as a data point.

Thanks again for testing this out!

Adrian