Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2005 01:43:39 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Oldie: underscores in 'names ... on -stable?

Hello,

Just a quick repeat of an old question (because it's late, I'm tired and
want to go to bed instead of spending the next few hours googling this
subject):

I run FreeBSD 5.4-stable on my main workstation. When  I try to use an
URL on the form some_name.example.org (note the '_' (underscore)
character) in a browser (Mozilla, Opera, Firefox) it complains that it
can't find the name.
On other platforms (windows, Mac OS X) this works with the same
browsers.

If I try it with ping in a shell (on FreeBSD), it also fails.
However both 'host' and 'nslookup' happily foes a lookup of that name.
so it seems that our resolver (on FreeBSD) is to blame.

I have seen a few old (ok, from 2003) mailing list posts, which seems to
indicate that the official rules says that 'underscores are not allowed
in hostnames'. Is this still the case?

If so, why is FreeBSD in rwo minds about it (nslookup and host working,
resolver not)?

Good night everybody.
--
Regards,