Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 14:02:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Hamilton <matt@boris.clintondale.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI bus resets with C1534A tape drive.

Hi all,
  I have a HP C1534A tape drive hanging off an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card.
The other devices on the bus are:

	0:	Micropolis 9440 (2GB)
	1:	Micropolis 9440 (2GB)
	4:	HP HP35470A T503
	5:	Sanyo CD-ROM drive

I am running 2.1.5-RELEASE and whenever I access the tape,
eg. mt -f /dev/rst0 erase
the Tape drive starts working and then after a couple of minutes I get:

Sep  5 12:41:58 boris /kernel: st0(ahc0:4:0): timed out in dataout phase,
SCSISI
GI == 0x0
Sep  5 12:41:58 boris /kernel: st0(ahc0:4:0): BUS DEVICE RESET message
queued.
Sep  5 12:41:58 boris /kernel: Bus Device Reset Message Sent
Sep  5 12:41:58 boris /kernel: st0(ahc0:4:0): Bus Device Reset delivered.
1 SCBs
 aborted

When using dump it is even worse, it resets all the SCSI devices! and I am
forced to cycle power.

I have tried increasing the timeout values in sys/scsi/scsi_base.c (as
mentioned in a bug report a couple of weeks ago) but this has not helped.
Does anyone know what the problem could be?

If I can't resolv this then I am considering moving to 2.2-SNAP-960801.
Are there any differences in the SCSI code?  I am a bit reluctant to do
this as it is a production machine and has to remain as atable as
possible.

TIA,
Matt

Matt Hamilton