Date:      Sat, 01 May 1999 21:50:13 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        James Snow <sno@teardrop.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual K6

rick hamell wrote:

> > James' letter got me curious and I went to AMD's web pages. They claim
> > the AMD-K7 will superscalar pipelined, and have a bus capable of
> > scaleable multiprocessing.  See
> > http://www.amd.com/news/prodpr/9882.html
>
>         Interesting... to me this has been a big problem with AMD for a
> while. I'm glad to see that they've finally addressed it. :) Another
> reason to not buy Intel if it performs well.

There is hope. When it comes to multi-tasking, the Motorola cpu's have
long had an advantage because of the separate set of system registers.
I don't know what the arrangement on the Power PC is. Intel cpu's have
all of these registers that they have to save and load to change state
and that wastes a lot of time when the system has to take the cpu away
from the user. To really do floating point well takes even more
registers and that makes the state changes even worse. I think 16
32-bit fp registers or 8 64-bit long floats are just about right. You
need a register that you can use as an index for each fp register.
Cray's 64 vectors of 64 instructions must have been a nightmare to
handle.

Scalar pipelined sounds a lot like the Cray 1S. That would be a start
<grin>.
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA