Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 1995 06:10:37 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst>
To:        security
Subject:   FTP data port restrictions

While looking at Nick Sayer's home page, I caught his reference to FTP
data port quarantines,  and after thinking about it a bit, decided that
this is a good idea, and by default, FreeBSD's FTP client and daemon
programs should try to always use a restricted range of data ports
(40000-44999) for transfers.

If you have a FTP server, you would like your FTP server to restrict its
port range to a safe area when clients ask for a passive FTP connection,
so you don't have to expose all of your >1023 ports on this machine.

If you have a FTP client, you would like to be able to restrict the ports
you request to a given "safe" range in case you're talking to some mean
old nasty FTP server that doesn't support passive mode (because THEIR
sysadmins are as paranoid as OUR sysadmins).

The basic idea here is that we leave 40000-44999 open, since no known
sane services reside there (yeah, sure...) at the firewalls,  and can
therefore button down everything else.

This in no way precludes passive mode transfers,  rather it extends the
usablity of FTP clients and FTP servers in light of passive and non-passive
mode transfers.

Would someone care to check over my diffs for any glaring errors?

They're freefall: ~pst/ftp-diffs

Still TODO: ncftp version and documentation