Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:04:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        NIcky Lai <nickylai@sirius.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ?? Virus detected on CD FSB_330A ???

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, NIcky Lai wrote:

> I just bough the FreeBSD Version 3.0 CD and the book Complete FreeBSD 2nd
> edition. I am doing backup of the CDs before I install the FreeBSD, during
> the process the Trend PC-cillin 98 program with virus Pattern #502 detected
> a virus on CD number one as follows:
>
> Virus name:   PRESTO *
> TOOLS\OSBSBETA.EXE (OS-BS\OS-BS.COM)
> TOOLS\OSBS135.EXE (OS-BS\OS-BS.COM)
>

> On the other hand, I am beginning to read the book before I do the
> installation. The name PRESTO is being use as an example in page 46 and may
> be other pages as well. Could this be a coincident that the word use in one
> OS will misinterpreted as virus in another OS? Anyway, I like to point it
> out because you people know it much better.

This is probably a false positive.  OSBS is a boot manager which installs
itself into the system MBR.  Heuristic virus checkers may mistake that for
a virus action.  (I know that older virus checkers often mistake the
installed boot sector image as ANTI-EXE or something of that order.)

If you're worried about it, those are self-extracting archives, so you
could use unzip to unpack them instead of executing them directly.  Or, I
think they should be zipped in the \TOOLS\SRC directory on the disc.

Doug White