Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:14:50 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        karl@Denninger.Net (Karl Denninger), tom@uniserve.com, dnelson@emsphone.com, bright@hotjobs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

> > Are the delay lengths reasonable?  I don't know.  Aren't there specs on
> > this stuff from the IDE and SCSI camps?
>
> A better question: is there *ANYONE* out there that has a bootable
> IDE or SCSI device that FreeBSD detects, but which the BIOS POST
> display does not show as being present in the machine?

My P-166 in front of me has an IDE disk in it that is *NOT* seen by the
BIOS, but has a secondary FreeBSD partition on it.  I used to boot from
it when I wanted a different version of FreeBSD on it (-stable, rather
than -current).  By disabling the IDE disk in the BIOS, it booted from
the SCSI disk, but I could still mount/read infromation from the IDE
disk which is how I upgraded the OS. :)

(Note, I wasn't able to boot from the IDE disk unless I enabled it in
the BISO, but the argument wasn't about booting, but about knowing the
existance of the disk, which FreeBSD (correctly) found even though the
BIOS code did not.)

Nate